Dr. Howard Andrews established and serves as director of the Data Coordinating Center, which provides comprehensive data management and data analytic services to many clinical and research departments at Columbia University Medical Center, including the Center for Child Environmental Health, the Conte Center, the Gertrude Sergievsky Center, the HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, and over 30 federally funded research projects. Dr. Andrews serves the Conte Center for Suicide Prevention as Co-Leader of the Database & Statistical Core 4.
These projects include multi-site clinical trials as well as a number of large-scale epidemiological studies, several of which have been funded continuously for 25 years.
Dr. Andrews is an expert in the use of web-based technologies to gather, organize, and disseminate research information, and has extensive experience in processing and analyzing information contained in large government databases, including health and mental health data systems.
Dr. Andrews is an author or co-author on more than 100 articles published in peer-reviewed journals.
1. RN Alcalay, H Mejia-Santana, MX Tang, B Rakitin, L Rosado, B Ross, … Journal of clinical and experimental neuropsychology 32 (7), 775-779
2. Lovasi, G. S., Quinn, J. W., Rauh, V. A., Perera, F. P., Andrews, H. F., Garfinkel, R., Rundle, A. (2010). Chlorpyrifos exposure and urban residential environment characteristics as determinants of early childhood neurodevelopment. American Journal of Public Health. Advance online publication. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2009.168419. PMID: 20299657, PMCID: PMC3000714
3. Rauh, V. A., Lam Parker, F., Garfinkel, R. S., Perry, J., & Andrews, H. (2003). Biological, social, and community influences on third-grade reading levels of minority Head Start children: A multi-level approach. Journal of Community Psychology, 31(3), 255-278. doi:10.1002/jcop.10049
4. Rauh, V. A., Andrews, H. F., & Garfinkel, R. S. (2001). The contribution of maternal age to racial disparities in birthweight: A multilevel perspective. American Journal of Public Health, 91(11), 1815-1824. PMID: 11684610, PMCID: PMC1446885
5. Andrews, H., Goldberg, D., Wellen, N., Barber-Madden, R., & Pittman, B. (1995). Prediction of special education placement from birth certificate data. American Journal of Preventative Medicine, 11(3 Suppl), 55-61. PMID: 7669365
6. Andrews, H., Kerner, J. F., Zauber, A. G., Mandelblatt, J., Pittman, J., & Struening, E. (1994). Using and mortality data to target small areas for breast, colorectal, and cervical cancer screening. American Journal of Public Health, 84(1), 56-61. PMID: 8279612, PMCID: 1614917
7. Pittman, J., Andrews, H., & Struening, E. (1986). The use of zip coded populations in social area studies of service utilization. Evaluation and Program Planning, 9, 309-317. doi:10.1016/0149-7189(86)90045-5. PMID: 10279632
8. Kerner, J., Andrews, H., Zauber, A, & Struening, E. (1988). Geographically-based cancer control: Methods for targeting and evaluating the impact of interventions on defined populations. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 41, 543-553. doi:10.1016/0895-4356(88)90058-3. PMID: 3385456
9. Christ, A., Andrews, H., & Tsemberis, S. (1989). Fiscal implications of a childhood disorder DRG. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 28(5), 729-733. PMID: 2507514
10. Mandelblatt, J., Andrews, H., Kerner, J., Zauber, A., & Burnett, W. (1991). Determinants of late stage diagnosis of breast and cervical cancer: The impact of age, race, social class, and hospital type. Journal of Public Health, 81, 646-649. doi:10.2105/AJPH.81.5.646. PMID: 2014871, PMCID: PMC1405079
11. Wallace, R., Wallace, D., Andrews, H., Fullilove, R., & Fullilove, M. T. (1995). The spatiotemporal dynamics of AIDS and TB in the New York metropolitan region from a sociogeographic perspective: Understanding the linkages of central city and suburbs. Environment and Planning A, 27, 1085-1108.
12. Mandelblatt, J., Andrews, H., Kao, R., Wallace, R., & Kerner, J. (1995). Impact of access and social context on breast cancer stage at diagnosis. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 6, 342-351. PMID: 7548491
13. Padgett, D. K., Struening, E. L., Andrews, H., & Pittman, J. (1995). Predictors of emergency room use by homeless adults in New York City: The influence of predisposing, enabling, and need factors. Social Science and Medicine, 41, 547-556. doi:10.1016/0277-9536(94)00364-Y. PMID: 7481949
14. Mandelblatt, J., Andrews, H., Kao, R., Wallace, R., & Kerner, J. (1996). Late stage diagnosis of colorectal cancer: Demographic and socioeconomic factors. American Journal of Public Health, 86, 1794-1797. doi:10.2105/AJPH.86.12.1794. PMID: 9003140, PMCID: PMC1380736
15. Rauh, V. A., & Andrews, H. F. (1999). Birth outcomes for Asian-American adolescents: A high-risk group? Journal of the American Medical Women’s Association, 54, 121-125. PMID: 104491916